Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Head and Shoulders shampoo



Ingredients in this product are linked to:
yesCancer
yesDevelopmental/reproductive toxicity
yesViolations, restrictions & warnings
yesAllergies/immunotoxicity
yesOther concerns for ingredients used in this product:
Neurotoxicity, Persistence and bioaccumulation, Organ system toxicity (non-reproductive), Miscellaneous, Multiple, additive exposure sources, Irritation (skin, eyes, or lungs), Contamination concerns, Occupational hazards


So this is the first thing that appeared when I searched for my favorite shampoo, Head and Shoulders: Classic Clean 2 in 1, essentially a list of what is wrong with the shampoo that I so habitually use every morning. I was honestly surprised at this discovery. Looking at the toxicity report disgusted me even more with the ingredients that were listed such as Pyrithione Zinc and Dimethicone were listed as an environmental toxins as well as several other ingredients that were in violation of rules and regulations, harmful to the organ system, allergies and immune system. This list of ingredients is not to pleasing to the eye especially when the Environmental Working Group has junk on every one of these ingredients. In overall toxicity and hazard, Head and Shoulders score at a 5 out of 10, pretty moderate not good but not too bad.

I don’t think this will affect my use of this shampoo because I don’t see any immediate harm to my body or the environment. It is overall a pretty safe product as long as you don’t consume it! You could probably say that it is pretty lazy of me to say that and not change my habits. However if I was presented with an alternative option that was better for my scalp and the environment, I would go with that. I am not stubborn. One thing that the web site does not provide you with such an alternative which would be helpful to a conscientious consumer. But if no alternative is offered I will just stick with the Head and Shoulders. Here is the link to the list of chemicals

No comments:

Post a Comment