Monday, September 28, 2009

Alot of work ahead of me... I suck at being green.. Here is my ecological footprint

So I took the ecological footprint quiz on myfootprint.org and found out some pretty interesting results. So here they are...

If everyone on the planet lived my lifestyle, we would need 4.49 of these earths pictured here:
To be honest, I wasn't too surprised to see these results because two-fold, I haven't been to environmentally conscious and when I am I opt out for laziness. For example I choose not to search for a recycling bin when I need to throw away a plastic bottle. However, I would really like to know how myfootprint.org determines how many earths your lifestyle consumes, it is pretty scary at the first initial glance. I am pretty happy though when I compare my footprint in comparison to the U.S. Below is the comparison:

However when I look at my footprint in the pie chart in terms of biome, I can see some definite areas that I could work on in terms of footprint reduction. Such as my forestland footprint (40%) and my pastureland footprint (20%). And looking in the above chart, my food footprint is ridiculous (65.7!).
So that being said, some actions need to be taken to reduce my footprint in these areas. I did some research of some of the websites that Wendy gave us for resources in ecological footprint reduction and I have found some practical ideas that I hope I will follow through during the quarter and carry over after this quarter.

1. Eat red meat once a week or none at all (see pbjcampaign.org and omnivores dilemma)
2. Walk or Bike to class, bottom line, no excuses this quarter as well as carpool when going to the grocery store.
3. Recycle... plain and simple. Pretty lazy about that. Bottles and paper.

Secondary goals
1. Shorter showers
2. Bundling up at night, conserving heat
3. Turning off the water when hand washing dishes.
4. Closing the refrigerator or minimizing the time that it is open.

1 comment:

  1. Closing the fridge! That should definitely be a top priority :) Excellent goals in general, good luck at meeting them.

    ReplyDelete